Our building is located on the Milano - Bicocca campus, in Piazza della Scienza, 3.
A local map:
In this map: the department, the Guesthouse, the subway station, the "Milano Greco-Pirelli" train station, tram stop n. 7, and bus stop n.87. [View bicocca - fisica in a larger map]
Our building is U2 (it says "Fisica" in big shiny letters). In the lobby, take an elevator to the fifth floor; take a left and start looking for familiar names. If we're not around, relax in the coffee room, we should be back soon!
There are five ways to reach our department.
- Subway Lilac Line (also known as Line 5).
- Urban train: this is very convenient if you find yourself close to the Porta Garibaldi area.
- Subway Red Line (also known as Line 1) + Tram: taking the Red subway line to the Precotto station, and then tram n. 7 in direction "Cacciatori delle Alpi" or "Monumentale". This is useful if you happen to come from a very central area, such as the Duomo. For more details, see below.
- Bus: Bus n. 87 is the best option from the main central station. For more details, see “from the main train station to the department below”.
- Tram: Tram n. 7, direction "Precotto". This is also very convenient from the Porta Garibaldi area.
All the relevant stops are shown in the map above.
A general remark: a single type of ticket covers buses, subways, and train rides within the city limits. This includes for example trains from Porta Garibaldi to Greco Pirelli (but not from and to Malpensa, which is far away from the city). It also includes the n. 73 bus to Linate. Each ticket covers a 90 min. trip, and allows you to transfer from one means of transportation to another.
I suggest you buy these tickets at newsstands and at vending machines in subway stations; queueing at the ticket office of a railway station would be a waste of time.
From the main train station ("Stazione Centrale") to the department:
the best option is bus n.87. (Bus tickets can be found for example at newsstands; see remark above.) It leaves from the right side of the station (left, if you're looking at its facade). Get off at Teatro Arcimboldi; from there, see the department map above.
From Porta Garibaldi station to the department:
Some high-speed trains stop at Porta Garibaldi station. You have two options: you can take the Subway Lilac Line (Line n.5) and get off at Bicocca stop, or hop on one of the many trains to Milano Greco Pirelli; here is a sample of the timetable (Stazione di partenza= “Milano Porta Garibaldi”; Stazione di arrivo=“Milano Greco Pirelli”. Notice that the "Trenitalia" machines don't sell the correct ticket; use a "Trenord" machine or go to a newsstand.) In both cases, you can then walk to the department; see the department map above.
From Malpensa airport to the department:
There are two options: by train or by bus.
- By train. There are trains to Stazione Centrale (the main station) and to Cadorna station (timetable). The train to Centrale is the best option for you, unless you happen to have to wait a long time for it. Some of the trains to Centrale also stop at Porta Garibaldi station.
- If you arrive at Porta Garibaldi Station, see "from Porta Garibaldi station to the department" above.
- If you arrive at Stazione Centrale, go to the right side of the station (left, if you're looking at its facade) and take bus n.87; for more details, see the instructions "from the main train station to the department" above.
- If you arrive at Cadorna station, please take the subway's Green Line (direction "Cologno/Gessate") and get off at Garibaldi. From there, you can follow the instructions for the previous option. You can use your subway ticket even on the train, if you choose that possibility.
- By bus. Buses to the main train station ("Stazione Centrale") are run by several companies (one is Malpensa Shuttle, but there are several others; you can buy the ticket right before boarding the bus, there is no need to buy it before). You will arrive at the left side of the main train station (looking at its facade). On the same side, take bus n.87. For more details, see the instructions "from the main train station to the department" above.
From Linate airport to the department:
Two options: the first is probably faster.
- Take a bus to the main train station ("stazione centrale"). From there, take bus n.87; for more details, see the instructions "from the main train station to the department" above.
- Take bus n. 73 (there is a vending machine for tickets next to the bus stop; see also the general remark above). Get off at the last stop, near Duomo (the very center of town). From there, take the subway's Red Line (direction "Sesto F.S.") and get off at "Precotto". The tram station is very close to the subway station, like 100m, but you might not see it at first. Here is a map, but you might just want to ask. ("Tram numero sette".)
Take tram n. 7 in the direction "Monumentale". Get off at "Bicocca-Scienza". From there, see the department map above.